VDC - [Part 5] - VDC vs VRF

S.N. VDC VRF
1 Cisco Nexus has a feature of VDC (Virtual Device Context), by which you can divide a single physical Nexus Switch into two or more logical switches. These logical switches will perform as independent switches.

It allows multiple instance of routing table in a single Layer 3 device (Router or Layer 3 Switch).
2 VDC has more feature than VRF and VLANs - There will be separate VRFs, Vlans, STP, HSRP, RIB Data Plane, configuration, administration functionality on each VDC. There are only Logical separation of Routing Tables.
3 We can manage multiple logical devices in a single physical device. These logical switch behaves same like physical switch. Each logical switches have separate administration and operational capability. There are no separate administrative and Management domain for each VRF.
4 You can reuse same VLAN in each VDC. You cannot reuse same VLAN ID in each VRF.
5 Only Nexus 7K platform support the VDC. All L3 devices support VRF.
6 If you want to enable VDC, then you will need Advance Services License. IP base License in Routers and IP services in Catalyst Switches are enough to start VRF.
7 To perform internal VDC communication, we required an external connection need to be made between ports of VDC. To perform internal VRF communication, we do not required an external connection. Internal VRF communication possible via route leaking.
SHARE

Anubhav Upadhyay

Hello and welcome to networktopic Blog. My name is Anubhav. I am a Senior Network Egineer. I have created this blog specially to serve interview questions and answer on Network Routing and Switching, I will try my best to serve correct and updated networking knowledge for you as per my corporate experience.

  • Image
  • Image
  • Image
  • Image
  • Image
    Blogger Comment
    Facebook Comment

1 comments:

  1. Thnx for this content its very useful for me thnx alot

    ReplyDelete

If you like my posts then please comment and if you don’t like then please suggest me to improve, and if you have any query related to post then please text me through the comment box or mail me on upadhyayambition@gmail.com , I will try my best to solve your queries as soon as possible.